Wednesday, December 26, 2007

What is geocaching?

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunt using a GPS to find hidden "caches". Geocaches are hidden everywhere.  Some people call it a sport, some people call it a hobby, some call it a game.  Whatever you choose to call it, I call it fun!  

I took a geocaching class through my local REI store; I had briefly heard about geocaching after going on a Orienteering trip to Joshua Tree National Park a few years ago.  During the geocaching class, they showed us the basics of using a GPS and showed us a variety of caches which we found in Folsom.  I was hooked!

I bought my first handheld GPS, a Garmin 60csx, shortly after taking the class and went in search of caches in the area.  I log my "finds" on the website, www.geocaching.com, which keeps track of how many geocaches I've found.

Personally, I prefer geocaches hidden in non-urban settings (i.e., places where you can go hiking, by the river, parks, etc), but there are tons of urban geocaches hidden in shopping centers, etc. They each have their own merits. During the summertime, its harder and dangerous to find the geocaches hidden in the woods because of the heat, the unpleasant walks through dry grass/stickers, and the huge risk of encountering rattlesnakes who live near the areas where geocaches are often hidden since you generally have to leave the trail to find the cache. Last summer, I saw more rattlesnakes than I care to admit. During the summer months, I generally don't take the dogs because of the heat, risk of snakes, and walking through dry grass/stickers is not pleasant for them. During the colder weather, I've been taking them with me, so its been a lot of fun for us to get out.

My geocaching name is: pk-a-boo.  A group of my friends call me "PK" (my initials), so I created the name pk-a-boo as my geocaching name and this is the name I use to log my finds of the geocaches I have found.

1 comment:

Mo said...

Eeek! Snakes! I keep thinking it is only a matter of time before you find a body. I love your blog. What a cool hobby/sport/game you've gotten into. Will you be having a 1000 caches party?