Today I went geocaching at Coyote Hills Regional Park in Fremont with Zuleika. The circumstances that brought us to the area was sad, as my uncle (my mom's brother) passed away on Friday after suffering a heart attack a week ago, so I came down to Fremont to spend some time with my mom. First Molly, now my uncle, ugh...I'm ready for this holiday season to be over!
Zucchini was going a bit stir-crazy as on Saturday it was raining so we couldn't really go outside to let her get her yah-yah's out (and boy does she get the yah-yahs!) So this morning, even though it was slightly cloudy and looked like it might rain, I scoped out a hike we could take that was close to my mom's house.
In my younger days (which is long time ago!!!) and still living at home with mom & dad, I used to ride to Coyote Hills on my bike, it was about a 20-mile ride up and back. It's probably been almost 20 years since I've been out here and this was the first time I was here without a bike. The one thing I've discovered about geocaching...it brings you to places you never even knew about. I was missing out on a lot of cool places and great views as the bike trails are located on the outskirts of the park without a lot of the great views that the hiking trails have.
I wished I would have had my Rebel to take pictures today, it was great black dog lighting and the views were great! But, alas, the Rebel and geocaching do not get along (too heavy/bulky for me to carry). Note to self...check the memory card before leaving, I ran out of space on my card, so I missed a lot of great shots today of some herons in flight, nice views, a hawk perched on top of a tree, etc. Just an excuse to come back I guess.
I found a series of caches called "Indian Montage" 1-6 today. Unfortunately, I didn't do my homework before leaving as inside each of the six caches were clues to find a seventh cache that was also hidden in the park. Oh well, it will just give me an excuse to get out here again as there are a few more caches hidden in an area that we didn't even get to today. Luckily, I took pictures of the clues and will try to piece together the solution to the final cache so we can come out again to find it.
So that brings us to 833 caches...and counting!
No comments:
Post a Comment