Monday, December 31, 2007

Travel Bugs

A Travel Bug (or, TB for short) is similar to a geocoin in that a TB is trackable on the geocaching.com website and is meant to be moved from cache to cache. Each TB has a tag, which looks like a dog tag, attached to it that contains its unique tracking number.

Like geocoins, TB's may have a goal. The difference between a TB and a geocoin is that a TB may be attached to anything. Some of the TB's I've seen/moved were attached to cheap McDonald's toys, stuffed animals, figurines, keychains. Basically, anything you can attach a tag to can be made into a TB. When I was in Lake Tahoe this summer, I brought home a TB that was a bowling pin (yes a real bowling pin)! The only reason I took it was because there was a geocache in Folsom that I knew would be big enough to hold it; it has since moved on to another large cache in the area.

Back in February, 2007, I released my first Travel Bug called "Molly the Golden Retriever" Travel Bug to honor Molly. It was a dog collar that contained a laminated card with some pictures of Molly and her goal, to travel to places where she can walk, swim, or hike. I intentionally kept the tag smaller in size and the goal for her pretty general, so that she doesn't get stuck in a cache where people may not pick her up because her goal is too hard to meet or where the TB is too large in size to be placed in another cache.

I started her TB at a cache near my house, then picked her up from that cache and took her to Oceanside when I went down to visit a friend. From there she has visited geocaches in Virginia, NY City (she actually was placed in a geocache in Central Park!), Lake Tahoe, Arizona, and she is now in a cache in New Mexico.

It sounds kind of silly, but in some ways this was my way of keeping her alive. So far she has travelled over 5300 miles and its been fun to watch her travels and see pictures people have posted on her TB page of the places she's been to. Heck, other than Oceanside and Lake Tahoe, she's been to places I've never even been to, how cool is that?

Here's a link to her Travel Bug webpage: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=794705

No comments: