Friday, May 2, 2008

Web-cam cache

I got a call from my geocaching friend, Watelassie, at work yesterday. "What'cha doing?" she says. "Working, what do you think I'm doing?" I answer. She asks me if I saw her email, you know the one I sent at 1am last night? Uhhh, must be nice that you are out geocaching, but I'm at work and I explain I've been so busy I haven't looked at my email today...then she explains that she wanted me to take her picture at a Webcam cache of her and her friend, Lookielulu, in Downtown San Diego.

What's a webcam cache you ask? Well, there are geocaches listed on the geocaching website that contain a link to a live webcam and in order to post it as a "find" you have to post a picture of yourself at the location that is taken with the webcam. So, this is kind of a team event as you have to go to the location and have to call someone who is at a computer to find your picture on the internet site and get a screenshot of the picture on the Internet.

It was actually funny because when I went to the site, she said she was standing in front of the building next to a ticket booth, I didn't see any people at all. She asked me if I saw a bus, which I did. She said we're right in front of the bus. When I refreshed the screen, the bus had moved and I saw the two of them (and her dog) standing on the sidewalk. Here's the picture I took, see them standing on the sidewalk, the dog is laying down?



I guess this was payback because I asked the same of her when I went to Fremont to visit my mom last summer. There was a webcam cache at Lake Elizabeth that I wanted to log, so she helped take my picture. I did that one at the park and another one at a train station (that was remodeled to look like an old-fashioned train station, its now an Amtrak station).

Another fun thing about geocaching, I grew up in Fremont and had never been here before, it was only about 3-4 miles from home and I'd driven by who knows how many times in my life? But because of geocaching, I got to see a cool train station I would have never gone to otherwise.

No comments: