Thursday, May 29, 2008

Magic Bridge does a disappearing act

On Sunday, waterlassie (ie, Laurie) and I met her friends from Oceanside, Lookielulu and Homies from Al in Lincoln and we found a few more caches that day with them and then cached for a bit by ourselves in Rocklin. It was cool to meet Lookielulu (aka Holly) as we had found a whole bunch of her caches in Oceanside a few years ago in a cool park where we hiked and cached all day.

Since it was Memorial Day weekend, I had Monday off. I took waterlassie, Lookielulu, and Homies from Al to Salmon Falls Recreation area to do some hiking and caching. Holly was anxious to go hiking to cache, but we also warned her about the snakes. I mainly wanted to go to Salmon Falls because I had heard the "Magic Bridge" (see some of my previous posts below) had disappeared under the water! I couldn't believe that bridge was covered, but it was! And actually, there were ski boats going down the river right OVER the bridge! It was amazing to think that huge bridge was underwater! I didn't find any caches, but it didn't matter, we had a nice 4 mile hike and the 3 others found the caches I had already found.

Here's a picture of the bridge when I was there in January:
And here's a picture of it on Monday...can you believe it?And, this isn't a small bridge either...that is Zucchini sitting on the bridge looking pretty small, when she did an "up" on the side wall on the bridge, she couldn't even reach over the top!


People always ask me what's so exciting about geocaching. If I had never started geocaching, I would have never come to this area and got to see the bridge. Its about the places it brings me that is what keeps me going. Honestly, I don't really care for the urban caches, although they do have their place (ie, creative hides, no snakes), I'd much rather go for a long hike and find only a few caches then go driving around wasting gas to lift up lamppost skirts and find magnetic keyboxes attached to something metal.

No comments: