Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Night Caching

A week or so ago, I went on my first night cache, what a blast! My geocaching/therapy dog/hiking friend Wetpaws called me up one weekend to see if I wanted to go with a group that was going out that night to a new cache called "Nocturnal Immersion" (GC14NZQ).

This cache will go down as one of my all-time favorites, and not just because it was a night cache, but because of the creativity that went into the cache. They made an actual YouTube video that you watched and there was an MP3 file that you downloaded and listened to while out on the hunt which provided directions to make it to the stages of the cache which then led to the final cache. I'm not going to go into details as that would spoil the fun, but it was totally creative the way they put things together to find each of the stages.

The fun part of a night cache is that you bring flashlights and there are reflectors on the trees that follow from tree to tree by shining a flashlight at eye level. It was so cool, that was the easy part, the reflectors were surprisingly easy to see, but you definitely had to have a strong flashlight. This particular cache was hidden in Folsom by Lake Natoma on a path I have travelled on a lot. It was weird being out there in the pitch black, but a blast with the group. I was a little worried about snakes, but luckily we didn't run into any!

The other cool part about this cache was that I got to meet a few of the local cachers whose caches I have found. I was probably the rookie in the group as these cachers have thousands of finds and have hidden a ton of caches in the area. There was a cacher named: a_friend_of_dorothy who was the first cacher I ever met...she works at REI and was the instructor of the geocaching class I took which got me started in this crazy activity more than a few years ago. It was great seeing her again and I think she was happy I liked it enough to keep doing it.

Here's a picture of the group out there that night:

Next time I am out on that trail, I'm going to see if I can figure out where exactly each of the stages were located. I'm sure things look a lot different during the day than they do at night with no reflectors visible to lead the way.

No comments: