Monday, February 18, 2008

Take a Hike!

It was such a beautiful day on Saturday that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a hike nearby at Folsom Lake. After I got home from puppy class, I loaded up Hope and Zuleika in the car and we headed over to Brown's Ravine in El Dorado Hills. I found a nice hiking trail that somewhat paralleled the lake and we ended up hiking 2 miles before I realized we should probably turn around as it was getting late and I knew I would be hiking tomorrow as well, so we ended up hiking a total of about 4 miles. There was a cache called "Dot's Watching" that I found, it was suppposed to have a geocoin in it, but it wasn't there, bummer. Hope and Zuleika weren't so thrilled about the bushwhacking we did off the trail to find this cache, they were much happier once we got back to the main trail. It was kind of hard hiking with two dogs as the trail was so narrow, so I finally let Hope off leash and that was much easier as she just followed behind me. That's Zuleika on the left, Hope on the right in case you are wondering...

On Sunday, I went hiking with my cousin Sharon who I will be travelling to Peru with next month. We walked on the American River Bike Trail starting near Sutter Street in Folsom to Beal's Point in Granite Bay, a total of 7.25 miles, so it was a good workout to help prepare us for our trip. The funny part was that I was planning on showing her some geocaches, but we got into such heavy conversation about our trip that I forgot to stop and look to see where some geocaches were hidden along the trail that we were hiking. Oops.
This morning I got up early and drove out to Beal's Point as I had looked at the map yesterday to see what was out there. I hiked out towards Granite Bay and ended up hiking another 4 miles today and found 6 caches. It's amazing to see how low the lake is right now, I don't think I've ever seen it this low. This is the view from one of the caches I found this morning. I decided not to take the dogs today as in reading some of the previous finders' logs, there were rattlesnake sightings near a few of the caches I was planning on looking for.
Since the weather is starting to warm up, I'm afraid my days of going geocaching with the dogs will be ending soon..it will soon be rattlesnake season, plus the ticks out there will be even worse. I made it up to them when I got back and took them for a short walk to the schoolyard and let them play in the kindergarten yard with Lucky, a friend's dog who I was dog-sitting this weekend. They didn't seem to mind being left behind one bit!

It was a good weekend, almost 15 miles of hiking and 7 more geocaches found. That puts me at a total of 874 caches found so far...

No comments: